Lisselan House, on the banks of the Argideen River was built in 1851/53 by William Bence-Jones. The House in French Chateau Style was designed by Lewis Vuliamy. In the late 1800s the smoke room wing was added, to the design of Sir Thomas Newenham Deane who also designed the lodge at the front gate.
The Property was sold to C.O. Stanley in 1929 and he enlarged the hall by building a single storey addition along the entrance in 1946.
New owners took over the property in 1990, and the house has been extensively restored. The Conservatory which was built for the Cork Exhibition of 1902 was restored in 1992 and the gardens are being continually extended and improved.